Tuesday, March 30, 2010

New Shoes: Who said running was a poor (wo)man's sport?


Today marks the day I finally replaced my ancient Brooks runners.I definitely traded up with a gorgeous pair of Mizuno Riders. Now I'm not one to research the topic to death but my more experienced friends tell me that buying shoes is one of the most important steps to comfortable training. After my recent experience, I'm inclined to agree.

I began my quest for new shoes about a year ago in Calgary, with my friend Rachel. She and I had decided to start running regularly. We had just finished an orienteering race in our rubber boots and decided a footwear upgrade, not mention a more rigourous training regime, was in need. She ended up purchasing a pair and I, undecided, made due with my well-worn and loved pair of Brooks.

I moved back to Vancouver in September, 2009. I was still lugging my ol' faithfuls around which were, due to their stench, banished to the garage. I started working at lululemon athletica shortly after my return, where I was informed by my co-workers that most people replace their shoes every 6 months! I think at this point mine were about 3 years old.

I realized that the financial investment
was only one aspect holding me back; I also had no idea what I was looking for in a shoe. The overwhelming number of technical running shoes on the market today is terrifying! I shopped around a bit, starting with the Running Room where I found out that I over-pronate slightly. This means my feet torque to the outside slightly as I walk/run. What's important then is a shoe that provides some "posting" or support to correct this tendency. The other question I was posed was whether I liked a nice light shoe or something a little more substantial. My recommendation? Try on as many pairs as you can until you find the right fit and feel.

I decided I wanted a shoe that wouldn't weigh me down any more than the extra 15lbs I carry around with me so I was told Mizuno was the way to go. Amongst the pairs I tried on were the Mizuno Wave Elixir 4/5, the Mizuno Inspire, and the Rider. I also investigated the Nike LunaRacer, and the Etonic Jepara 3 SC. All were lightweight and retailed for around $149.99 (give or take $10). I decided on the Rider based on feel, but also on look -what can I say it had it all! Not to mention the sweet wave plate technology which allows for the perfection combination of cushioning and stability.

No comments:

Post a Comment