Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Byron on the Brain


The other day, a friend of mine posted a quote from this poem on his facebook page. I immediately thought of two things: 1. Nobody writes this way anymore, and 2. I wish I could. I wasn't a fan of Romantic literature in university but it has it's moments. The companionship Byron alludes to in the line i've inscribed in bold is one I've felt often. Whether it's wanderlust or just my existentialism showing -i love it!




There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,

There is a rapture on the lonely shore,

There is society, where none intrudes,

By the deep sea, and music in its roar:

I love not man the less, but Nature more,

From these our interviews, in which I steal,

From all I may be, or have been before,

To mingle with the Universe, and feel

What I can ne'er express, yet cannot all conceal.

-Lord Byron

No comments:

Post a Comment